Waeco Troubleshooting Checklist
- IS THE FUSE IN THE CABLE BLOWN?
There is a fuse in the plug of most WAECO fridge cables. THe fuse can be accessed by removing the single screw. Replace the fuse (With the same ratin gas the original fuse and reassemble. This is not a common problem, but it can happen and should be the first thing to check.
- DOES THE FRIDGE SHUDDER ONCE EVERY MINUTE OR SO, OR STOP RUNNING WITH YOUR IGNITION IN THE ACCESSORIES POSITION WITH THE CAR ENGINE STOPPED? DOES THE RED LIGHT OR POWER LIGHT FLASH ONCE EVERY 5 SECONDS.
If the answer is yes to any of these points, there is almost certainly mothing wrong with your fridge. You have a voltage loss problem in your vehicle wiring or cigarette lighter socket.
- IS THERE ENOUGH VOLTAGE FROM YOUR CIGARETTE SOCKET?
If your fridge does not run properly or stops and starts erractically there is a good chance low voltage is the problem. The fridge is designed to shut down and save your battery if the voltage gets too low. The problem can be thin wiring to the vehicle socket or even a dirty socket.
- TRY THE FRIDGE ON 240V AV MAINS POWER
If it works normally the problem is almost certainly with your vehicle wiring, not your fridge.
- IS THE HIGH . LOW BATTERY CUT OUT SWITCH IN THE HIGH POSITION?
If yes, this will cause our fridge to turn off almost as soon as the car ignition is switched off. Recommended settings are as follows:
LOW - for vehicle with dual battery systems
MED - for normal single battery in-vehicle operation
HIGH - for fridge shut down soon after ignition is turned off
- HAVE YOU CUT OR EXTENDED THE CABLE SUPPLIED?
Unless you do this correctly, you will prevent your fridge from getting enough voltage to operate correctly. The cable provided is the minimum thickness required for that length.
- VOLTAGE LOSS - THERE IS A SIMPLE AND PERMANENT SOLUTION
If you have any of the voltage loss symptoms described, you simply need to install thicker wiring from your battery to your lighter socket. Your fridge and all other 12 volt applicances will operate as they are meant to, reliably, efficiently, and trouble free. WAECO has a wiring kit available for this purpose or you can ask any auto electrician to replace your cigarette lighter wiring. Ask for 6mm cross sectoin wires as a minimum.
- MY PORTABLE FRIDGE IS NOT PERFORMING PROPERLY AND/OR RUNNING TOO LONG
Are all ventilation solts unobstructed? Good refrigeration must have good airflow - especially in hot ambient temperatures.